Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Childhood Hero

she was in pink from head to toe :)


The other day Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago came by at the 15th Philippine Academic Book Fair. It only took a few seconds for Almacious to convince me that it was certainly okay to have a photograph taken with her. (Okay, Mr. Services did me a lot of convincing, too. And, thanks to Sir A for taking the photo.)

Posing in front of the camera usually makes me feel self-conscious but I would like to think that I usually step up when the occasion calls for it. Last Saturday, July 16 at the SM Megamall was certainly one of those occasions and I’m glad I stepped up to it.

You see, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago was one of my childhood icons. I think that to my young mind she was an epitome of what a woman should be: feisty, eloquent, and intelligent; and that she is a lawyer and an Ilongga were also my other reasons for liking her.

In 1992, I remember my lola asking me who I want to be when I grow up and I said I want to be like Miriam Santiago. I can barely recall lola’s exact reply but it was clear that she disapproved of my choice of a hero.

Fast forward to nineteen years later, I realize that I have not grown to be a true fan of my childhood hero. I could not tell for sure if it was because of lola’s opinion or if that idol thing was something that I simply outgrew as a kid.

Still, fact remains that she is my childhood hero. Yay! Now I have a photo with her. Now, someone please get me Vince “The Prince” Hizon =)  

No comments:

Post a Comment